PDA

View Full Version : More 'goodies' from the sticks...

lcoutback
09-02-2013, 07:19 PM
I had two (yes, count them TWO!) opportunities to go play in the dirt this weekend! :happy: (I REALLY should have taken this up a long time ago...)

Friday afternoon I went for a drive in the woods nearby just to get out of town and clear my mind. I happened upon this little 'line shack' that I had all but forgotten about...
[attachimg=1]

Since I had my 350 in the Jeep, I figured I would wander about. It was SUPER trashy, but I did net a reasonably intact 'Black Label' Beer and an Orange Soda can, as well as two bottle caps to add to my rapidly growing collection. Something tells me the key isn't too old... LOL
[attachimg=2]

Then today I went to poke about on private property where the owner told me was once a very small dairy operation. (mid-teens to late 20's)
[attachimg=3]

This site is also super trashy, and the cows have wreaked havoc on the place. But I finally managed to dig some pull-tabs! :rolleyes: I spent about three hours at the site reliving my childhood as I played in the dirt and kicked cow-pies out of my way searching for treasures. Here are the fruits of my labor:
[attachimg=4]

I found two rings (oh, EVERYTHING is bigger here in the high country):
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]

I 'think' the actual ring is copper, and it may not be jewelry. I'm soaking it now in an effort to determine what the design is. There are no distinguishable markings on the inside. Any ideas? :dontknow:

All in all another great outing, and a chance to enjoy more of what this sleepy little community has to offer.

Happy hunting! :waving:

del
09-02-2013, 07:37 PM
those look like great places to poke around and explore a bit , what beautiful countryside :wow: the copper ring looks pretty old we find a few similar usually gold plated over copper or brass , everyone couldn't afford a solid gold one .

lcoutback
09-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks Del! I don't expect to find too many coins in this country, but I see they pop up EVERYWHERE! I'm most interested in the relic hunting, but doggone if my detector doesn't sing a crazy song anywhere but on the high end! LOL >:{

I've taken the approach of sweeping sections twice. Once on the high-end for coins (and bottle-caps, pull tabs, shell casings and other 'facinating' finds \:[) then going back and trying to discriminate more meaningful 'stuff'.

I still have much to learn, including the limitations of my current machine. <}

Lodge Scent
09-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Nice ! Love those wide open spaces too.

Ms. Kansas Digger
09-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Beautiful pics! I love the first one with the line shack. The key looks like it might possibly be from the little known ancient Indian tribe called the Monkeysee's. |:cheering: I've found a few treasures like that myself, although they may resemble pull tabs, I'm fairly certain they're from a little known Mayan Indian tribe here in Kansas. :happydance01: or maybe not. lol

aloldstuff
09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
In the 1st picture there appears to be some carvings on the Birch tree. What a beautiful countryside, I can see why you would go there to clear your mind. Hope the relics of your past continue to surface.

OxShoeDrew
09-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Trash is good. For Oscar and us detectorists. :grin: The goodies are in with it. Going slow and careful is the key.
I personally liked to run the 350 with no disc and hear everything.
Your sites look productive and beautiful. Good luck on return visits.

Skamaniac
09-07-2013, 02:27 PM
I motorcycle through eastern Oregon every summer. Your photos make want to take another trip before winter (which is what, in 2 more weeks there in Lakeview?) I have found so many places I'd like to get permission to MD but we're always just passing through. Maybe next summer I'll load my AT Pro into a backpack and head for the high desert to actually stop somewhere.

lcoutback
09-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Skamaniac, keep me posted when you do make the trek. Maybe we can get out together. Do you prefer relic or coin shooting? I hope by spring to have a few spots mapped and permission in hand to explore.

Skamaniac
09-08-2013, 01:17 PM
That would make a fun trip! I'm definitely a relic hunting kind of guy. Because, according to my wife and kids, I myself am a relic. :grin: I'll give you a shout in the spring.