PDA

View Full Version : A fun hunt

bob_e99
04-25-2013, 02:32 PM
I managed to hit two sites today and while I didn't get a whole lot of stuff, it was varied enough to make it enjoyable.

The first site I hit has (like everywhere of late) been well detected but out of a mess of shredded cans and pop tops I was able to pull out a silver rosie. I bought a CTX over the winter and have been going back and forth between that and the e-trac. Up until now I really haven't seen a huge difference but I'm not sure the E-trac would have picked up the dime in this trash. Maybe my son (Z118) could have done it but I think in this case the CTX was good for me. I picked up a few clad quarters and some dimes before heading out to my second site.

The second site I hit had just been detected with a couple of dozen fresh holes (probably from this morning as this didn't show any signs of the rain we had last night). I stayed because I was hitting some nickels and a few dimes. Apparently the previous detectorist suffers from the same inability that I had last year in not recognizing the nickel tones. I'm doing much better in that area this year. In any case, I'm glad that I stayed because under this big root I got a really nice signal and pulled out a 1798 draped bust large cent. It's not in great shape and I nicked it trying to get it out from under the root :crying02: but with the sparsity of finds this year, it made my day if not week.

Thanks for looking and good hunting.

z118
04-25-2013, 02:43 PM
:cheering:

Suh-WEET! That there is a fine day of digging! That large cent would be a new oldest coin for me... I'm a little jealous! Plus some silver and a nice pile of clad... fantastic! Congrats and keep digging!

:bananadance:

Tony Two-Cent
04-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Super hunt, Bob! :wow:

It's amazing how one coin can make all the difference. That 1798 Draped Bust Large Cent is fantastic! Heck, a find like that would make my millennium! To find a US coin from the 1700s is something that most of us will never experience.

Huge congrats! :clapping:

:perfect10:

aloldstuff
04-25-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm still searching for that 1700's USA coin. Nice that you stuck it out, even after seeing the plugs from the previous hunter.

:congrats: on that draped bust LC and your silver

CTDirtFisher
04-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Sweet hunt... Silver and 1798 Draped Bust... nice date on that one... most... we never know...

:congrats:

POKIE73
04-25-2013, 07:20 PM
congrats on a great hunt nice find on the large cent dennis |:cheering: |:cheering:

leslie(nova scotia)
04-26-2013, 02:00 PM
From the land of the Bluenose.....
once you are one with your machine detecting in those trash or heavily detected areas will produce. Glad you got out! <;)

skribnodsister
04-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Nice finds Bob! :peace: Congrats on that Large Cent and the Silver! :perfect10:

CODY
04-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Very nice finds. Sounds like that CTX is doing a great job for you. HH