PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Numbers & Ranking Sites

z118
04-05-2013, 08:23 AM
I've been tinkering with my spreadsheet where I log all my finds... I've long wanted to come up with a system that would rank sites based on my total finds there compared to the number of hunts. This has meant quite a bit of fooling around with numbers to accurately capture the value I would assign different types of finds. I've played with it a bit and have come up with something that seems to reasonable. It's tough because sometimes I will prefer one site over another even though the finds are not necessarily better there. Anyway, the chart below reflects 5 different sites, all of which I have hunted 25 times or more.

The Y axis is the rating of the site according to my invented system. The X axis is the number of hunts at that site. Sharp jumps up reflect very productive hunts. Conversely, drops reflect unproductive hunts weighted against the history of finds at that site.

I've likely bored several people to death by this point. Anyway it is interesting (to me anyway) to note that at several of these sites my best hunts did not come until after a dozen or so hunts at that spot. Also, I'm not sure if a high ranking is as impressive as a steadily increasing ranking.

The two longest lines at towards the bottom are my most hunted sites. They've both given up over 2,500 coins each. The purple site is probably my favorite site of all of them.

Skamaniac
04-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Curious about whether each is a similar or different type of site. Like school, cellar hole, park, swimming area, homestead, etc?

CTDirtFisher
04-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Awesome data... but you missed the part we all need... The GPS Coordinates... :poke:

z118
04-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Curious about whether each is a similar or different type of site. Like school, cellar hole, park, swimming area, homestead, etc?

They are all school yards, with the exception of the top site which is a park.

RobW
04-11-2013, 01:02 PM
You just took our nerdy hobby to a whole new level of Nerdiness......... rofl...but I'm good with that thumbsup01

z118
04-11-2013, 02:11 PM
You just took our nerdy hobby to a whole new level of Nerdiness......... rofl...but I'm good with that thumbsup01

lol lol lol Does anyone want to argue about which Star Trek series was the best? lol

del
04-11-2013, 03:28 PM
while i don't use such graphs to keep track of finds like that , i do keep a tab of what is found at particular cellar sites . over the long run it starts to reveal patterns and to better date a site more effectively, plus other important info.

lol lol lol Does anyone want to argue about which Star Trek series was the best? lol

no arguements , &quot:beerbuddy:alance of terror was the best thumbsup01