PDA

View Full Version : Silver bar and a 'something'.

tanacat
03-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Not sure if this is silver- it looks like it and rings up silver :yes:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_7915.jpg

And this? :shocked04:stretcher: See the horse standing behind them...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_7913.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/IMG-20130322-00816.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_7913-1.jpg

Here's the back...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/104_7910.jpg

Tony Two-Cent
03-21-2013, 02:12 PM
I just noticed that the silver bar has an eagle on it. That is VERY cool! I bet it is silver, it sure looks like it. That's an incredibly interesting item, Tana! :yes:3

And that other item is curious as well. It appears to a child holding some kind of doll or figure that has twisted arms. Rather strange and fascinating!

Great finds, I like 'em! |:cheering:

aloldstuff
03-21-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't know about that being a doll....I think that the guy sitting down just caught himself a leprechan.

That silver bar is very interesting.

Some very nice finds.

Lodge Scent
03-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Tanacat, that is one of the more bizarre whatzits I've seen in a while thumbsup01 I don't see the horse. What are the things I have circled?

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j364/jeffhdfx2/Bizarrefind_zps767622db.jpg

Tennessee
03-21-2013, 07:24 PM
A sleigh.

Tony Two-Cent
03-21-2013, 07:54 PM
The object on the left is the horse. Lodge Cent has circled its head, front leg, reins, etc. It's almost easier to see the horse on the back side of the object when it's flipped over.

I'm not sure about the round object on the right. Almost looks like a beach ball.

tanacat
03-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Tanacat, that is one of the more bizarre whatzits I've seen in a while thumbsup01 I don't see the horse. What are the things I have circled?

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j364/jeffhdfx2/Bizarrefind_zps767622db.jpg
On the left you have circled is the horse head, front legs and reins --- on the right I'm pretty sure it's the horse's tail...

It's definately an older man struggling with some (mythological?) person/child? It's face is lower left corner of the mask/helmet- his face is facing the old man's face. Whatever it is I think it's stabbing the man in the head, as there's a crack in his skull where the creature's hand is. I'll take a better pic - really hoping someone will know the story. The first thing I thought of was a man fighting sorcery/witchcraft and he's sitting on a huge Bible...

tanacat
03-21-2013, 08:09 PM
The object on the left is the horse. Lodge Cent has circled its head, front leg, reins, etc. It's almost easier to see the horse on the back side of the object when it's flipped over.

I'm not sure about the round object on the right. Almost looks like a beach ball.

lol I didn't see your post before I posted mine

Lowjiber
03-21-2013, 08:50 PM
The creature/doll/whatever that is obviously being held appears to be the devil on the backside of the coin.

Skamaniac
03-21-2013, 11:49 PM
I think aloldstuff is right. It looks like the guy caught a leprechaun. The part thought to be the horse's tail is the rim of the overturned pot. I've enlarged and inverted the color to make it more visible.

Or I'm wrong. That's always a distinct possibilty.

freemindstuck
03-22-2013, 01:32 AM
Very cool finds Tanacat! :perfect10: You'll have to test the bar to be sure it's silver, but I think there is a good chance it is. My thought is where is the rest of the bar, or better yet bars? It looks like bullion that has been hit by a plow. So if it is a cache it'd be spread out a lot. Did you hunt a large concentric circle around the find?
And the whatzit is cool too. I noticed that it is concave on one side. I wonder if it is some kind of candy mold or something?

Adrian

lee
03-22-2013, 03:41 AM
that thingie looks like a mum blowing raspberrys on a childs tummy ( dont know if thats what you call it in the usa )

tanacat
03-22-2013, 08:53 AM
I think aloldstuff is right. It looks like the guy caught a leprechaun. The part thought to be the horse's tail is the rim of the overturned pot. I've enlarged and inverted the color to make it more visible.

Or I'm wrong. That's always a distinct possibilty.

That's neat how you did that to get more detail. Is that typical- that leprechauns escape from a pot? I'll look up leprechaun folklore... love this hobby! Always more to learn :)

The creature/doll/whatever that is obviously being held appears to be the devil on the backside of the coin.

It does look devilish... I def think the man is struggling with it.

that thingie looks like a mum blowing raspberrys on a childs tummy ( dont know if thats what you call it in the usa )

rofl :hysterical:

Very cool finds Tanacat! :perfect10: You'll have to test the bar to be sure it's silver, but I think there is a good chance it is. My thought is where is the rest of the bar, or better yet bars? It looks like bullion that has been hit by a plow. So if it is a cache it'd be spread out a lot. Did you hunt a large concentric circle around the find?
And the whatzit is cool too. I noticed that it is concave on one side. I wonder if it is some kind of candy mold or something?

Adrian

Yes I circled the area very well hoping there was more- at least the other part to that one. I wonder how they 'cut' it... it seems torn, not cut. I found these 2 items at same site at house built in 1865. They were found next to the house, not near a field.

The whatzit has a broken piece on the back towards the bottom, like it was apart of a watch cover or piece of jewelry. I'll take a better pic. It's been in oil for a while and I have a better camera.

ssserena
03-22-2013, 10:17 AM
make sure its not platinum now that would be something if it was a platinum bar!

tanacat
03-22-2013, 11:18 AM
make sure its not platinum now that would be something if it was a platinum bar!

:shocked03: Now that would be great! I think I remember it was 1.23 oz when I weighed it... it's smaller than it seems but that would be about $2000 :yes:

How do you check for platinum :confused:

Skamaniac
03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
That's neat how you did that to get more detail. Is that typical- that leprechauns escape from a pot? I'll look up leprechaun folklore... love this hobby! Always more to learn :)

If memory serves (which is less and less likely as the years progress) if you catch a leprechaun he has to give you his pot of gold. One of those inverted color pics has what I think looks like coins spilling from the pot.

freemindstuck
03-22-2013, 12:08 PM
:shocked03: Now that would be great! I think I remember it was 1.23 oz when I weighed it... it's smaller than it seems but that would be about $2000 :yes:

How do you check for platinum :confused:

Here is a link to the test kit that I bought. It'll test for platinum. I believe you scratch a little on the stone. Drop a some acid on it and it shouldn't change. Just don't let your kids get a hold of the test kit to play mad scientist.
http://www.amazon.com/Testing-Solutions-Silver-Platinum-Scratch/dp/B005VEG5T0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363972032&sr=8-1&keywords=large+stone+gold+testing+solutions

Cheap Thrills
03-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Nice finds Little Earth Mother Tana .Once again you have found some cool stuff .I'm thinking that that is a half of a silver bar also . Something about that stamped Eagle looks familiar like it's a mark of a certain bullion company I may have seen before . On the Baby/Leprechaun thingie I think freemindstuck may be right on thinking it's a candy mold .I had to look up what Blowing Rasberries meant for sure ( that one really had me wondering ) . lol Keep up the good :detecting:

fyrffytr1
03-22-2013, 09:52 PM
I think the something is Geppetto holding Pinocchio and that is a rocking horse in the background.

Sal66
03-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Yeah it does look like a rocker. I'm seeing possibly some kind of sled because of that curled part in front like a toboggan . The doll does kinda look like Pinocchio with that long nose.
I'm kinda more interested in that bar of silver with the Eagle. There could be a Cache nearby. How big is the bar ? It looks real old because of the pitting.

skribnodsister
03-24-2013, 06:26 AM
:wow: Those are just Awesome finds!!! I bet you did the :happy: dance when you found that bar, I know I would of! Congrats :perfect10: :perfect10: :perfect10:

tanacat
03-24-2013, 07:32 AM
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/IMG-20130322-00816.jpg

It does look like Geppeto and a rocking chair! But the 'boy' has wings and I think the 'nose' is the back of his helmet. I cleaned a little more in the crevices to expose the man's smile! And I was wrong- there's not a crack in his skull as I was thinking the creature was stabbing him in his head.

Okay my final analysis -I think he is a wood/toymaker and he caught a leprechaun and he's happy that he'll keep the coins! :bananadance:

Maybe! lol This has been fun analyzing them with ya'll :)

fyrffytr1
03-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Is that lettering beneath the man's leg? And, I didn't know that Leprechauns had wings.