PDA

View Full Version : grease for O-rings

carl2112
03-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Does anyone know or would recommend using this product on there O-rings and rubber gaskets?

del
03-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Carl , i'd only use it if it stated that it didn't breakdown the rubber o-rings or plastics in anyway.

Ltr113
03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure exactly, but if it's the stuff I'm thinking of, it is a silicone based grease. (similar to the stuff you can put on your spark plug boots or reel lube that you put on your fishing reel.)
If it is a petroleum based grease, I'd stay away from it.

carl2112
03-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Its made to put on the rubber O-ring inside faucets. But ive got some stuff for my fishing pole called reelbutter which might be a better alternative. Thanks for the help.

Sal66
03-20-2013, 06:26 AM
I read that Vaseline is what you use on rubber O-Rings . I had a Pool once, the Rubber kind that you just fill up and the instructions said to apply that to the filters O-Ring when storing over the Winter.
In fact I use it on my Metal Detectors Rubber rings where the shaft connects to the Coil and in 12 years have never had a problem . There still original and I even use it on the rings not only for storage but especially in the Summer when their prone to drying out and cracking .

ChrisinCT
03-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Sal is correct use Petroleum jelly (aka Vasaline)

wrvond
04-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Long-term use notwithstanding, Petroleum Jelly is petroleum based. Of course, it is to petroleum what the hydrogen peroxide in your medicine cabinet is to rocket fuel. ;)
However, there are better alternatives. The scuba diving industry sells food grade o-ring lubricant that is safe for O-rings, any electronic parts, and the people that use it.

Just sayin' ...