PDA

View Full Version : Silver, Relics and a new Old Site...

jkress
12-05-2012, 12:47 AM
[Long post, feel free to skip directly to the pictures] thumbsup01

With the 'Two Minute Warning' :frozen: here in Iowa, I made another push for some keepers. :yes:

I took off solo today back to the park Ron, Dale and I hunted on Sunday. I got my coil over only a Barber.

On the way back home, I noticed an open truck door of an old stone farm house I dream of hunting every time I pass.
A quick U turn on the highway had me talking to the friendly owner...

The house was built in 1850 (early for around here) and he let me search the small front and back yard. Lots of typical farm
house trash in the small area, but I was able to pull a Rosie lol , large token and big military button.

The only caveat to gaining permission was to let him see what I found. Before I left, I showed him my finds. He was
very interested in the button and token. So I let him know I would gladly return the two items to him after I documented them.
He was happy and excited with the transaction. :yes: I will be delivering the relics tomorrow.

Moving on to the 'New Old Site' of my title... while talking to the owner, he mentioned You should try in the back field. After asking why, he let me know of the several stone foundations and root cellars associated with the 1840's lead mining community. :shocked04:

He asked if I wanted to take a walk back there, but I let him know that I wasn't with my hunting buddy and would be back soon
to give it a whirl. Ron would do the same for me. :beerbuddy:

I unsuccessfully hunted the obvious fill dirt front yard and small back yard. Came up with a few keepers nonetheless for my efforts.

A military button (could use some help with the date range), a Centennial Cyrus Hall McCormick Reaper token. 1831-1931, plus the Rosie
and Barber from the park.
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2012/pictures/picture-75.jpg

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2012/pictures/picture-76.jpg

http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2012/pictures/picture-77.jpg

Tomorrow Ron and I will explore the rest of the farm and more importantly the lead mining community foundations. :yes:

dave in iowa
12-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Joe , ive found a few like that and i was told ww1 era , good hunt

giant056
12-05-2012, 07:21 AM
Congrats on the barber and rosie thumbsup01 cool token too, too bad he wanted it but them are the breaks :grin:

aloldstuff
12-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Nice homeowner. Even though he wanted the token and button he was kind enough to tell you about the field. Hope that pans out well for ya. :congrats: on the silvers

del
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
hey Joe all the info i could find on the button points to WWII era (give or take a couple of years ). congrats on the finds and hope you get some really nice relics and coins from the new site.

Dan

JTGOLD
12-05-2012, 04:09 PM
:congrats: on he silver and thats a neat token also,good hunt.

milco
12-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Sounds like a you met a good person to know and got on some cool new spots! Joe some of those old lead mining camps/settlements date back toas early as the 1820's and many of them are actually documented on the original federal surveys for SW Wisconsin and NW Illinois from the 1830's.

CODY
12-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Nice finds, :congrats:

PL8MAN
12-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Very cool finds ! :beerbuddy:

Tony Two-Cent
12-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Very nice finds and great photos, Joe!

I really love that Cyrus McCormick token! What a cool relic!

:congrats: