PDA

View Full Version : First Token

treasurebone
04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Yesterday I got out for a bit and decided to hunt an old county park in between down pours. Once there I decided I'd go into the woods and hunt there rather than the normal manicured grassy park area. After about 30 minutes of hunting, cut short from the rain I walked out with a couple of fired bullets, shotgun brass and a bent token. I was semi excited about the token, the only downers were it had bean shot by a .22 most likely and appeared new because the metal had almost zero corrosion on it. I brought it home and after 3-4 hours of research and talking with the local library reffrence desk I found the earliest mention of the buisness as 1946 and the latest 1955. Not quite as old as I was hoping for but not quite as new as I was prepping myself for either.

I did clean/fix/tap the token into as close as its orginal shape that I could manage. I know, you shouldn't clean or do that sort of thing, but the value in it is I found my first token, I'm not going to sell it and I wanted fixed :crazy:

One cool thing is the librarian said they are going to add the pictures of the token to their local history collection :cheesysmile:

coinnut
04-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Hey, that is a nice token, damaged or not. It's in really nice shape for aluminum too. :yes: Good job on unbending it. If you want to flatten it some more, the easiest way to do it is to get two pieces of hardwood, preferrably with little or no grain. I use Maple instead of Oak, but Ash would work well too. Place the object between them and hit with a good size hammer. If you hit too light, just move the object to a new spot and hit again. Better light than too hard, especially with soft metal lol I've done it with some buttons, only difference is you have to notch out a bit of wood for the shank (loop) to not get crunched. If someone missed that token, they may have missed more there. Hope you can get back there as soon as the rain stops.

hoser
04-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Cool token and good job on straightening it. I'm with coinnut, go back and cover that place real good. There has to be more there for the taking.

treasurebone
04-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys I'll make sure to get back out there. It's in the woods and there are LOTS of .22 casings as well as other ammunition items in there but I was think there has to be more out there too.

hoser
04-08-2010, 12:37 PM
You may have to remove all the trash to get down to the GOODIES! :drool: lol

del
04-08-2010, 02:25 PM
yes that is a high value target and a good token , i bet there are more good stuff in the wooded areas around that park .