PDA

View Full Version : Impromptu Short Hunt

chief5709
10-18-2012, 07:43 AM
October 16, 2012 – I was at the firehouse after work to catch up on some paperwork and I received a text from my cousin “I’m at the field u free”, well I had about an hour before I had to pick up my daughter from an after school program so I headed home grabbed my detector and mud boots and met up with him. This field had been turned over in the spring and I was able to get a hunt in before the corn was planted and found three pre-civil war military buttons. Knowing I had a short amount of time I stayed in a small area where I found those buttons put the E-Trac in TTF and went slow overlapping every swing. My first hole produced a flat button, second a small concaved button, third hole a copper coin and last a piece of an eating utensil?. Then I had to stop and make my way back through the mud to my truck so I wouldn’t be late picking up my daughter.

On Wednesday evening I finally got a chance to clean up my finds; The flat button has nothing on the face, but a very interesting eagle back mark that I am still investigating. The coin is 1771 KGIII in fairly identifiable condition.

SeabeeRon
10-18-2012, 09:05 AM
WOW!! :shocked03: Congratz on the King George! |:confused:)

del
10-18-2012, 01:38 PM
hey Brian , great short hunt |:cheering: |:cheering: the eagle backed button is very early 1800's era but the coin is a great British fake counterfiet , notice it doesn't say the usual REX after the III but looks like a P O . i believe your coin is this . very cool history to this coin , congrats again Brian

Dan

theres a nice bit of history here about these coins
http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=9315

aloldstuff
10-19-2012, 04:49 AM
That's some nice hunting for such a short time. :congrats: on the KG

chief5709
10-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the comments!

Hey Dan, do you think the button is early militia? I have found several pre-civil war buttons in this area. I also found the eagle b/m in my Tice book but the lettering doesn't match. I've been so obsessed with IDing this button I didn't relize the KGIII was a counterfeit.
thanks again! - Brian

Fire Fighter 43
10-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Congrats on some nice digs, WTG |:cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-21-2012, 05:36 PM
nice short hunt Bri! the eagle backed button is just civilian.

OxShoeDrew
10-21-2012, 07:33 PM
The front of that eagle button just plain and flat? Very nice finds sir :clapping:

chief5709
10-22-2012, 04:55 AM
The front of that eagle button just plain and flat? Very nice finds sir :clapping:

Ya its just plain and flat.

chief5709
10-22-2012, 04:55 AM
nice short hunt Bri! the eagle backed button is just civilian.

thanks Dave