PDA

View Full Version : A Week In The Fields!

Bell-Two
10-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Diane, Paul and I have been hunting a field site for a last week and it looks as though we have a good site with multiple homes in this large soybean field. The first day Diane did not go but we were joined by Paul’s brother Bill. We had just taken a ride out by the field to check and see if it had been cut and we were happy to see it was.

This was Sunday afternoon after Church. The first house was one that was still standing until the 1960’s so it was very easy to find. We only had a couple of hours to hunt and the results were not outstanding with some wheaties the only keepers found. The following week we went back on a Tuesday and located the site where another of the home sites were and the site next to it where a school house once stood, we did a bit better here.

Paul quickly found two buttons, a flat button and a Waterbury -Scoville Eagle button that unfortunately had been plow struck. I found the nicest flat button I think I have ever found. Diane then started off the coin finds, the first a 1912 V-Nickel. Then after a bit she called me over and there in the hole was a Large Cent which turned out to be an 1851.

Within 15 more minutes she gets an Indian Head a decent 1890! Man she was skunking us bad! I then joined the coin finds with a first for me an 1875 Indian Head my first one older than 1881. Paul got rolling and in about a half hour he hit four Indians, a no date, a 186…something, an 1868 and an 1861 Fatty Indian!

These too were firsts for Paul for like me he had never dug a pre 1880’s Indian. I was feeling a bit left out since everyone had multiple coins but me, but that was corrected when I got a very solid 12-39 to 12-41 signal and out popped an 1864 Two Cent Piece. We all ended up with some neat relics too.

We went back this Sunday and again were joined by Bill. It was slow going at first Paul went out deeper in the field and located another house site but did not hunt it since we would not have time to do a thorough job, leaving it for another day. We hunted a bit at the first site and I found a 1943 Canadian King George penny and a spoon bowl. Diane found a toy spoon and a real spoon which had a neat design on it also a copper memorial cent and a1945 wheat back.

We wandered back over to site two and Diane again showed the boys how to do it, with an 1880 Indian Head. A bit later she came up with another one this time a real good one an 1864 Indian Head, no L though. Bill found a token for the Cherry Hotel good for 5 cents at the Bar, very nice find. Then Paul pulled an 1862 Fatty Indian in good shape, I then got a flat button.

We were running out of time when on the way out Diane stopped to dig a good signal and it turned out to be her second Large Cent from this field an 1850 Braided Hair. That gave Diane her first Cent Trifecta! So in one week we found: 9 Indian Heads all in the 1800’s, 2 Large Cents, 1850 and 1851, 1912 V-Nickel, 1864 Two Cent Piece and a nice token. Also were found a bunch of nice buttons and artefacts.

Hunting With Bell-Two #101 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Gs-4S40kc#ws)

RobW
10-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Nce Huntin' congrats on all those great finds :clapping:

aloldstuff
10-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Certainly got yourselves some great keepers on that hunt. :congrats:

OxShoeDrew
10-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Certainly got yourselves some great keepers on that hunt. :congrats:

That's for sure....some quality finds right there. |:cheering:

Ill Digger
10-09-2012, 07:29 PM
:wow: Tony! You guys have stumbled onto a great detecting spot! thumbsup01
It's only a matter of time before the Barbers and Seateds start to show themselves! :drool:
Great start guys! |:cheering:
Congrats to all! :grin:

Tony Two-Cent
10-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Now THAT'S a fun way to spend a week! :happy:

What a great bunch of finds! I just love the early Indian Head Cents!

And a two-cent piece! :crying02:

Ha ha, someday I will find one! thumbsup01

Good job, Tony! :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-11-2012, 11:34 PM
AWESOME FIELD HUNTS! :perfect10: