PDA

View Full Version : A good hunt today

fyrffytr1
10-07-2012, 09:06 PM
I had the chance to get out for about 4 hours this morning but the only site available for me was one that had been hit hard many times over the years.
But, it was nice out and I never pass up the chance to relic hunt because I don't know when the next opportunity might come up.
I decided to hunt with my 12 coil because the peanuts had been picked and the field was smooth and junk free.
Anyway, my first finds were two small round balls and two pinfire casings. Then I dug a small one piece button like the kind found on under garments of the mid 1800's. On the last row I got a good signal and dug an eagle button. Working my way back to the truck I got another hit and dug a 54 cal. round ball, then about 15 feet from my truck I got another signal. When the object popped out of the ground I was a little disappointed because it looked like a tarp grommet. But, when I turned it over there was another eagle looking at me.
Now I know that my Northern brethren Are probably thinking that two eagle buttons are not really a big deal but, I am almost 200 miles south of Atlanta and any civil war relic found here is something to talk about.
Both eagles are CW period and the small button is unidentified even though it has lettering on the front as well as a back mark.
And, finally, when I cleaned the round balls I found that the 54 cal one had been carved. There is an X with a shallow hole in the center of it.

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-07-2012, 10:01 PM
nice finds! you should clean them up a little more .are the shields on the eagles chest just striped or could there be a letter in the shield/ the one on left looks plain but i'd check.anyways i'm by no means a CW button expert but those look pre-civil war to me.they are thinner and the wings almost touch the edge of button.Civil war GS buttons I think have more of a space between the wings and edge of button.

fyrffytr1
10-07-2012, 10:25 PM
There is nothing on the shields. I was going by the back mark or lack of it to date them to the CW period. But the fronts could be earlier. According to someone more knowledgeable than me the Extra Quality and plain backs were a result of the need for many, many buttons to supply the Union Army during the war.

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-07-2012, 10:42 PM
There is nothing on the shields. I was going by the back mark or lack of it to date them to the CW period. But the fronts could be earlier. According to someone more knowledgeable than me the Extra Quality and plain backs were a result of the need for many, many buttons to supply the Union Army during the war.

the eagle on the front makes me think 1840's not 1860's.plus the front portion isn't as domed as a CW button.that's just my opinion.Dan can confirm or deny this i'm sure

fyrffytr1
10-12-2012, 06:47 PM
I agree that the eagle seems to be of an early style. Perhaps there was a surplus of fronts that were joined with the later backs.
Am I wrong in thinking that the button changed in 1854 form the shield with I
in it to the plain shield? If I read the book right that is what I take it to mean.

Changes for the enlisted men:
The same button(a spread eagle with shield) will be used for all corps, to wit: that now used for the infantry, omitting the I on the shield. ( General Order No. 1A General order, January 20, 1854)