PDA

View Full Version : 1785 CONNECTICUT COPPER & 1 PIECE EAGLE BUTTON

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-07-2012, 07:35 PM
sittin home looked at the clock..11 am.what to do :thinkingabout: a little voice said go up to the very 1st cellar hole that ya took Dan on your very 1st cellar hole hunt! thumbsup01
so off I went..slow going at first.diggin everything.alot of iron,a horsehoe,square nails,then a colonial barbecue fork! :shocked03: i mean i've dug colonial meat forks before and they were small but,this one takes the prize! then a tombac button,then kicked and rolled some rotted trees and got a bigger flat button(so I thought) :wow: a shoe buckle frame at 10 inches.a butter knife blade with best steel stamped into it.last target was 8 inches deep and sounding real nice.dug down and much to my suprise a pretty nice 1785 Connecticut copper.looks like an African head variety to me.
conditions were just perfect,ground was nice & damp.alot of machines including mine have attacked this site and it just goes to show ya that even if ya think a site has been pounded,there's always a keeper or 2 left somewhere.
it looks like a rock scraped the eagles head.not sure if this happened while digging it? it's a early diplomatic button RV-35 which is pretty rare from what i'm told

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-07-2012, 07:38 PM
more pics

milco
10-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Congrats on pulling all that nice stuff from a pounded site!

aloldstuff
10-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Dave, sort of like going back to your roots. Nice CT copper and that sure is one big meat fork. The button looks intersting and I'm hoping with you for it to be military. :congrats: on all those keepers.

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Dan Iron patch said the ct is a Miller 5-F.5 it's not an african head.
the button may be the varient of this below

del
10-08-2012, 02:56 AM
great hunt Dave the Connecticut is a real beauty , i'm sure IP is right about the variety but i'll confirm it when i get home . the button looks right to yours too. both are quality finds :smitten: :smitten: in my book Dave . big congrats |:cheering:

Dan

chief5709
10-08-2012, 05:26 AM
Love that eagle button! |:cheering: awesome finds Dave!

Thiltzy
10-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Really cool button and the copper is a beauty. Great hunt.

foundation hunter
10-08-2012, 09:07 AM
http://cvmcolonials.com/CVMColonials02.htm Dave check this site out.
Nice finds gary

RobW
10-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Awsomje...as always!!!! |:confused:) |:confused:)

tanacat
10-13-2012, 08:35 AM
|:cheering: Great group of finds- love the eagle button and copper :clapping: Fantastic pics! Btw, I was hunting on friend's property near Red River Gorge and found an intricate bucket handle and harmonica reed next to a well that looks just like yours.

Thanks for sharing Dave, I always love your posts and pics thumbsup01 Always learn a little more about relics. The knife is cool. It's exciting to find stamped items that you can research :happydance01:

Oh yeah, gotta love that damp soil... It's so dry here again already!

Sal66
10-17-2012, 02:38 PM
:perfect10: Definitely nice finds!!

Speaking of Wells, has anyone ever recovered any items from a well or tried to ? Also, how the heck did they make them ? I'm sure there must be some bottles in them, but how would you recover them. I mean I've seen ones that are shallow, but alot of them are at least 10 feet deep. :thinkingabout: