PDA

View Full Version : Another Crusty Large Cent!

Bell-Two
09-24-2012, 08:25 AM
For the second day in a row I found a crusty Large Cent. Beautiful day so after Church we were waiting for a call from my Nephew so we could all get out together, unfortunately at the last minute his plans changed so Diane and I decided to hit a field in a local park. First target a wheat penny then we each got a nice buckle. Not many targets but amongst some iron I got a very clear 12-46 at 5 and I dug a very crusty Large Cent. This field had heavy farming on it for well over 150 years so the fertilizer did a job on this one. After washing it up I thought the bust looked a little different so I scrubbed it and while it is hard to tell in the picture you could see a blob of hair on the forehead and checking the reverse there was no line under the One Cent leading me to believe it is an 1839 &quot:beerbuddy:ooby Head Large Cent. Whatever it is I was happy to find it.

aloldstuff
09-24-2012, 09:54 AM
I'd be happy with LC also, its been awhile for me. :congrats:

Sal66
09-24-2012, 10:55 AM
:yes: Hey, It's a Large Cent and &quot:beerbuddy:ooby Head at that.
Seriously, I've dug several of these Matron Heads and for some reson or other, they all have come out rough looking and they corrode over time also. I would use a Wax on it like the Renaissance Wax I bought. I know of two I have that were quite legible some yeats back up until a few days ago the dates were hard to see. I used the Wax and it brought the dates back and it gives it a Satin finish. Not Glossy like I expected.
HH !!
Sal

Bell-Two
09-24-2012, 12:19 PM
I use parrafin wax, just put a small amount on the coin and massage with fingers until it is all worked in. Works on nickles too.

skribnodsister
09-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Congrats on the large cent! It is in a little rough shape but a large cent even looking like that still deserves a happy dance :happy

Bell-Two
09-24-2012, 06:37 PM
The more I look at the Large Cent the more I believe I am wrong in the Booby Head designation, the spacing of the One Cent on looks wrong, most likely a Braided Hair...still no big deal I like it crusty or not! :grin:

del
09-24-2012, 07:58 PM
congrats on the large cent |:cheering: , i agree it looks closer to the 1840's braided hair types.

Dan

Tony Two-Cent
09-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Congrats on another large cent, Tony! I haven't found one since 1985, I've forgotten what it's like!

Terrific find! :clapping:

Bell-Two
09-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Congrats on another large cent, Tony! I haven't found one since 1985, I've forgotten what it's like!

Terrific find! :clapping:

Wow that is hard to believe! Well you have more than made up for it with so many other brilliant finds...I would give up some of my Large Cents for those wonderful seated coins you have found. I have never found a seated coin nor any 1800's silver, have seen many of them come out of the ground but it has always been one of my hunting partners finds not mine :crying02: Well no crying really I am always happy for them. :cheering:

CODY
09-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Nice, congrats!

POKIE73
09-25-2012, 06:03 AM
congrats on your large cent i have only found two of them in all the years i have been detecting agin congrtas dennis