PDA

View Full Version : COLONIAL COPPER & VICTORIAN SILVER

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Got out with gary to a field that has a overgrown cellar hole .you can see where the home sat with trees around it.
Got a worn colonial copper.can just barely make out a bust facing right back is smooth.maybe a King William?.a flat button and a nice fillagree unmarked piece of real silver,probably victorian.
68 large coppers on the year.

aloldstuff
09-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Dave, 68 coppers is great :congrats:. Any idea what the item is in the last picture, top right? That piece of silver is really ornate, do you think that it could be handmade. If so that silversmith was pretty talented. Any ideas on what it went to? As usual a nice hunt with some great pictures. One of these days I am going to bring my camera out with me....

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Dave, 68 coppers is great :congrats:. Any idea what the item is in the last picture, top right? That piece of silver is really ornate, do you think that it could be handmade. If so that silversmith was pretty talented. Any ideas on what it went to? As usual a nice hunt with some great pictures. One of these days I am going to bring my camera out with me....

thanks! the thing in top right corner of picture is a broken pewter spoon bowl.no idea what the silver piece was or went to? no solder marks on back where a pin might have gone.so,again i'm clueless. 2 pieces of silver on last 2 hunts and i'm stumped on both :-\

Sal66
09-16-2012, 12:40 AM
:perfect10: Very very nice finds !!!!! You would think a spot like that would of been hammered so close to the road. I'm sure you had to get permission and did the owner say if it was detected before ? That silver stuff really kicks butt. What a difference it makes. How were you able to date the silver ? Does it have a Hallmark or just by the design of the piece? Anyway great going. You know what they say, some of the best finds come out of areas that are so obvious. Some travel miles in the woods and find very little, then hit a cellar hole near the truck and JACKPOT ! I've experienced it many times with del. I can't remember how many times this has happened to us.
Congrat's again.
Sal

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-16-2012, 07:26 AM
:perfect10: Very very nice finds !!!!! You would think a spot like that would of been hammered so close to the road. I'm sure you had to get permission and did the owner say if it was detected before ? That silver stuff really kicks butt. What a difference it makes. How were you able to date the silver ? Does it have a Hallmark or just by the design of the piece? Anyway great going. You know what they say, some of the best finds come out of areas that are so obvious. Some travel miles in the woods and find very little, then hit a cellar hole near the truck and JACKPOT ! I've experienced it many times with del. I can't remember how many times this has happened to us.
Congrat's again.
Sal

thanks sal,judging by the design i'm guessing victorian.no marks at all but definitely silver

del
09-16-2012, 02:17 PM
very cool looking piece of silver Dave :loveit: i agree it looks victorian maybe a pin on brooch that lost the back . very nice find |:cheering: |:cheering:

Fire Fighter 43
09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Nice hunt and congrats on the coppers, WTG |:cheering: