PDA

View Full Version : 2 COIN COLONIAL POCKET SPILL * TOASTED TOO

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-20-2012, 06:42 PM
well at 2pm was bored outta my mind so,I decided to head back up to the site where I dug my early one piece Connecticut militia button.a few early coppers came out of this site. and I wanted to give it another go.I worked this site pretty hard on previous hunts and for 3 hours all I had to show was some iron.was ready to call it a day when i got a decent signal near a good sized pine tree.couldn't lock on while trying to pinpoint so I knew it was deep.
Fighting with roots from the tree I finally got down to 10 inches and stuck the pinpointer in and she squeeled,scooped a handful of dirt out and a old green disc in a clod.sweet I thought as I stuck the pimpointer in the hole and she sang again :shocked03: reached in and another scoop I had a 2nd copper.rechecked the hole and nothing more.
was kinda excited on the way home praying there would be some detail left on either one but that was not gonna be the case with these 2.I think I can make out a slight bust facing right on the coin on the right. but they are both toasted badly.oh well that's the way it goes at these old sites. the iron pipe thing not sure what that could have been? a candle snuffer? kinda shaped like a old clay pipe.the bowl broke while in my pouch.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-20-2012, 06:48 PM
few more close ups

del
08-20-2012, 07:06 PM
hey congrats on the coinspill :cheering: :cheering: too bad their pretty spent :crying02: just goes to show ya every site can still yield more goodies

aloldstuff
08-20-2012, 07:22 PM
They may be toasted but they are 2 more coppers. :congrats: I have heard that copper coins under pine trees have a tendenacy to get toasted because of the acidic soil caused by the pine needles.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-20-2012, 10:57 PM
They may be toasted but they are 2 more coppers. :congrats: I have heard that copper coins under pine trees have a tendenacy to get toasted because of the acidic soil caused by the pine needles.

thanks! that may be very true as i've dug quite a few toasted ones under pines but,then again i've dug a few in decent shape too.I think the drainage of the soil is the major factor in how well the coin stays preserved or deteriorates.that's just my opinion ;)

jkress
08-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Nice... much better than being bored. :clapping:

Congrats on the copper coin spill HEAVYMETALNUT. I barely find one a year, must be quite exciting to dig two from the same hole. :daydream:

Love the first picture. I can't imagine the excitement to hunt home sites so old.

OxShoeDrew
08-21-2012, 06:13 AM
You're bored so you go pluck coppers like they grow on trees and you're farmercopperdave :yes:
Hey, the ferns have already started to look thinner :clapping:
You could sing I am copper man to the tune of ironman

Fire Fighter 43
08-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Congrats on some nice finds, WTG |:cheering: