PDA

View Full Version : RUSTY IRON COLONIAL SHOE BUCKLE BEFORE & AFTER

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-17-2012, 03:22 PM
well yesterday I dug up a colonial shoe buckle,was a globby rusty lookin hunk of junk.
I mentioned soaking it in CLR and was encouraged not to do that but,being the pig headed stubborn pollock that I am decided to leave it in the CLR overnight and see what the results were. I'm not sure the electrolysis method would have ended in a better result :confused: the iron was pitted and the frying method would have still exposed the same enviromental damage done to the iron anyways. Well that's my opinion on it :thinkingabout:
After some wire brushing and picking in the lines,here's the final result.Not the prettiest of buckles I have dug but,now it's somewhat displayable.you can see traces of what this amazing buckle once looked like before it met its demise.some beauiful overlayed silverwork.what a shame but I look at it this way it's not gonna end up as a pile of rust forgotten about in the Connecticut woods any longer. <} what a lame story huh? :blush:
ok Dan I'm ready for the scolding you are about to inflict upon me >:tongue:

del
08-17-2012, 06:11 PM
couple of questions Dave , were you using it full strength and was the wire brush a brass one ??

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-17-2012, 06:14 PM
couple of questions Dave , were you using it full strength and was the wire brush a brass one ??

yes full strength and i used both brass and steel brush.)the steel one is soft like the brass one) am I in trouble now? :embarrassed:

del
08-17-2012, 06:20 PM
lol lol no Dave your not in trouble lol lol it came out pretty decent but i'm conviced the electrolysis would or bee just a bit more refined looking , after the brass brush of course . i've been watching and listening to some of the guys who are better at it and there results are very inspiring. but i'll give you two big thumbs up at that one |:cheering: its definately more appealing . :clapping: :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-17-2012, 07:10 PM
lol lol no Dave your not in trouble lol lol it came out pretty decent but i'm conviced the electrolysis would or bee just a bit more refined looking , after the brass brush of course . i've been watching and listening to some of the guys who are better at it and there results are very inspiring. but i'll give you two big thumbs up at that one |:cheering: its definately more appealing . :clapping: :clapping:

WHEW!! :happydance01: :happy:

Thiltzy
08-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Nice improvement |:cheering: Very nice find and restoration

Fire Fighter 43
08-19-2012, 06:53 AM
It cleaned up nice, looks like it may have a lot of detail to it.

buck57
08-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Nice buckle Dave :wow: Have to agree with Fire Fighter, sure have a lot of detail in this one. It's a beauty, :yes: Good hunting to ya, thumbsup01

milco
08-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Impressive results Dave! Nice recovery!

chief5709
08-20-2012, 07:40 AM
That turned out very nice! I've always wanted to try electrolysis but afraid I would burn down my house or get electocuted :shocked03:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-20-2012, 07:52 AM
That turned out very nice! I've always wanted to try electrolysis but afraid I would burn down my house or get electocuted :shocked03:

<} it's not that hard.i always burn out my electrical adapters for some strange reason? that's why i tried this CLR method