PDA

View Full Version : REVOLUTIONARY WAR NAVAL ANCHOR BUTTON

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Got out with sniffy and headed down to some sites rebel & fastfrank and myself been to before.the site pictured is a huge gorgeous old colonial center chimney home site but the amount of myrtle and thickness of it was really frustrating .I'd love to mow it down if it were possible.we each managed a flat button at the myrtle site.
so we moved down to the last site
this particular site we tried to pull a prank on Rebel by burying a reproduction Fugio cent but he didnt buy it when he dug it up anyways not far from the hole we buried that fake coin I got a beautiful anchor button which is early and old.I was told it's a British captains Revolutionary War naval button, If i'm wrong somebody please correct me.a 1900 IH and some scrumcious rasberries :drool:

del
07-22-2012, 07:42 PM
hey Dave it looks close to a Revolutioary War British captain or commander's button , whats the size in mm so i can narrow down the actual era .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-22-2012, 07:44 PM
hey Dave it looks close to a Revolutioary War British captain or commander's button , whats the size in mm so i can narrow down the actual era .

Dan

hey Dan,it's the same diamter as a US quarter 24.3 mm

del
07-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Dave its got to be 24 mm or under and no bigger . are you bragging about size again lol rofl. better check again , i thought you had a pair of calipers??

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Dave its got to be 24 mm or under and no bigger . are you bragging about size again lol rofl. better check again , i thought you had a pair of calipers??

dude lol I'm tellin ya i put it directly on top of a brand new state qtr and its the same exact size 24.3 no need for calipurs :teasing:
In 1770 did they have precise measurements when stamping out a button? i mean the maker coulda been nippin at the ale I would imagine :beerbuddy:

del
07-22-2012, 08:26 PM
this is what it says in the book ...

Captains and Commanders wore plain gilded , domed buttons until the regulation of july 30,1774 which stated for both ranks: flat, with an anchor and cable engraved thereon according to the pattern lodged in the Navy office. this stayed in use for a short time being replaced in 1787 by a pattern with the anchor in a recessed oval.it is important to note that the 1774 pattern Captain's button was adopted in 1787 for midshipmen ,and warrant officers , and continued in use by other ratings through the first quarter of the 19th century .during the Revolutionary War period , plain one-piece gilded brass , and repousse with bone back , all were in use.

so theres no exact way to tell if it was in the Rev. War or later, dude but i'll concede its from then and in great shape too :smitten: :smitten: congrats Dave |:cheering: |:cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-22-2012, 08:40 PM
this is what it says in the book ...

Captains and Commanders wore plain gilded , domed buttons until the regulation of july 30,1774 which stated for both ranks: flat, with an anchor and cable engraved thereon according to the pattern lodged in the Navy office. this stayed in use for a short time being replaced in 1787 by a pattern with the anchor in a recessed oval.it is important to note that the 1774 pattern Captain's button was adopted in 1787 for midshipmen ,and warrant officers , and continued in use by other ratings through the first quarter of the 19th century .during the Revolutionary War period , plain one-piece gilded brass , and repousse with bone back , all were in use.

so theres no exact way to tell if it was in the Rev. War or later, dude but i'll concede its from then and in great shape too :smitten: :smitten: congrats Dave |:cheering: |:cheering:

thanks Dan,sorry but it really is the same exact diameter.iron patch confirmed it as well a British commander rev war button 1770-1780

Tony Two-Cent
07-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Very interesting button, Dave!

It looks like someone on FMDF found one similar to it, but smaller:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=122175

milco
07-22-2012, 09:33 PM
A very cool and historic button! Congrats on a great fnd Dave!

Celluforce
07-22-2012, 11:06 PM
A hunt and a lunch!

Way to go!

...Where did you those raspberries sir? (just trying to make you talk) :grin:

:congrats: Nice results!

chief5709
07-23-2012, 05:04 AM
Great find! I love the RevWar / colonial stuff

aloldstuff
07-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Very cool find.

Fire Fighter 43
07-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Nice button and hunt, WTG |:cheering:

tanacat
07-23-2012, 07:23 PM
:perfect10: Wow Dave :shocked04: Love the button! :clapping:

Great finds, great pics and great story too -sounds like Rebel isn't very gullible. I'd prob would have believed it lol

Merc
07-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Those berries look sweet. Not as sweet as that button. Nice job Dave!! thumbsup01

08-02-2012, 12:35 AM
There are good records kept when it comes to the army, navy, air force, and marines so to have something that is not in the records it it is usually a fake. Unlike the early militia, that not all things are on record. The militia did not have a navy and that button is not in the button books as it would be if it were real. There are sea going people in the private sector that would like to use the anchor and rope symbol as it is still used today. Some coat company or something like that probably had it made to put on their sea going ware.

del
08-02-2012, 08:39 AM
that button is listed in the book Military Buttons of the American Revolution its a very good reference to have. its not going to be in Tice's or Albert's because those books mostly cover American buttons and makers . its a great find Dave

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-02-2012, 09:38 PM
There are good records kept when it comes to the army, navy, air force, and marines so to have something that is not in the records it it is usually a fake. Unlike the early militia, that not all things are on record. The militia did not have a navy and that button is not in the button books as it would be if it were real. There are sea going people in the private sector that would like to use the anchor and rope symbol as it is still used today. Some coat company or something like that probably had it made to put on their sea going ware.

have you lost your mind Scott? :crazy: stop sniffing the DEET dude

08-09-2012, 09:50 PM
http://kirkmitchell.tripod.com/CobbGW/navy.html is this the one you have. man your eyes play tricks but the cob button is stamped in also

buck57
08-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Got to love them buttons :smitten: Nice find Dave :congrats:

del
08-10-2012, 10:44 AM
http://kirkmitchell.tripod.com/CobbGW/navy.html is this the one you have. man your eyes play tricks but the cob button is stamped in also

thats a close variation of the same button Scott but i'm afraid that the button you posted is not a continental button its also a British navy one from around the revolutionary war. they listed your button wrong on that website or you took it out of context , there wasn't much of a continental navy back then and their uniforms were either using pewter buttons of an anchor (officer's only) or the french designed buttons . that is neither a pewter button (its brass as the british ones) or a french type anchor design.
heres the website that list your button as correct British captain's or commander's
just scroll down and you'll see it .(its about the 6th one down Scott)
http://georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com/navy.html

the button that Dave has is listed on page 10. in the book Military Buttons of the American Revolution its a good reference and i would recommend it.

Dan

08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
thats a close variation of the same button Scott but i'm afraid that the button you posted is not a continental button its also a British navy one from around the revolutionary war. they listed your button wrong on that website or you took it out of context , there wasn't much of a continental navy back then and their uniforms were either using pewter buttons of an anchor (officer's only) or the french designed buttons . that is neither a pewter button (its brass as the british ones) or a french type anchor design.
heres the website that list your button as correct British captain's or commander's
just scroll down and you'll see it .(its about the 6th one down Scott)
http://georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com/navy.html

the button that Dave has is listed on page 10. in the book Military Buttons of the American Revolution its a good reference and i would recommend it.

Dan
is this the page you are talking about?

del
08-10-2012, 12:15 PM
that looks like the page thumbsup01