PDA

View Full Version : Complete Buckle and Matron Head

SafariScott
07-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Got out this am with BKM and worked a field accross the street from an old house and my first target was a flat button thought it was a good sign so we stayed there for a bit and I ended up hitting the buckle (is this a shoe buckle or a knee buckle?) I was pretty excited since it was my first one that was complete and it doesnt appear to be ready to fall apart. We then worked another location but couldnt find the foundation we were looking for so we decided to hit the woods at the farmhouse I had been detecting we started working near a foundaton in the middle of the woods and about 20 feet from the hole pulled an 1838 LC. This is the second LC to come from near the hole and an old lock came from there but surpisingly not one button yet? Ill have to keep working the site since theres still so much area to cover. Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting.

del
07-17-2012, 04:21 AM
nice finds Scott , yes the buckle is a very nice and complete example of a mid to late 1700's era knee buckle :congrats:

Merc
07-17-2012, 05:09 AM
Scott sweet little knee buckle you found. The LC doesn't stink either lol Nice hunt and looks like another promising spot. thumbsup01

chief5709
07-17-2012, 05:36 AM
Great finds! love the knee buckle! I seem to be able to only find parts and pieces, never a complete one. Congrats!

OxShoeDrew
07-17-2012, 08:51 AM
A nice day out Scott, merc said you guys were coil to the soil shortly after midnight lol

aloldstuff
07-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Excellent finds. I am still waiting for my 1st complete shoe or knee buckle. Your's looks very good and of course the LC is a great find also. :congrats:

Cheap Thrills
07-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Awesome Scott and welcome to the forum . |:cheering: :beerbuddy:

Fire Fighter 43
07-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Nice. Finds, WTG |:cheering:

SafariScott
07-17-2012, 05:19 PM
nice finds Scott , yes the buckle is a very nice and complete example of a mid to late 1700's era knee buckle :congrats:

Del

Thanks for the help with the ID. Since I've only been detecting three years it's hard to figure out exactly what I've found. I appreciate the help.

Scott

Sal66
07-17-2012, 08:34 PM
|:cheering: Nice Buckle and coin. Finding those knee buckles complete is a truly fortunate.I've yet to find one complete yet myself.
The Coronet 1838 is very nice on the reverse and I wouldn't do a thing. the front however has alot of patina on it which is a good thing. Maybe a little soaking in Dishsoap and lightly scrape a few areas with a saturated toothpick may be all it needs. make sure to do that before applying any coin preservative or Vasaline, which is my favorite choice to keep it moist. Then just wipe off the excess and put it into a Air-Tite Holder so you don't lose any detail on the front.
This is just my method and it hasn't failed me yet.
Congrats Again and good for you.
Sal

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-22-2012, 08:07 PM
some excellent finds right there! nice job! what state you in?

SafariScott
07-23-2012, 03:15 AM
some excellent finds right there! nice job! what state you in?

Dave, I'm in RI. Im GTP guy on the friendly forum. (I decided to change my name since I no longer use the GTP and Ive been using the Safari) Brandon and Drew got me to join this one here. Nice to see your on here as well.

Scott

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Dave, I'm in RI. Im GTP guy on the friendly forum. (I decided to change my name since I no longer use the GTP and Ive been using the Safari) Brandon and Drew got me to join this one here. Nice to see your on here as well.

Scott

smacks my forehead 8/ I shoulda known! |:cheering: