PDA

View Full Version : Couple hunts-Milwaukee and Chicago

Digger_O'Dell
09-26-2016, 09:25 PM
Hi all,
Went to a new park that has a beach with hopes of finding something good. The park has a lot of history, as dies the beach. The beach doesn't get used much any more because it's right next to the city sewer overflow where they dump the nasty stuff when it floods.
Didn't find a whole lot on the beach or park areas other than a little clad, a copper lid, and an old spoon in the sand. The spoon turns out to be an old 1900s Anette Silvore silverplate. The water had a rocky bottom so was tough to even walk. I did manage a cast silver plated silverware handle that looks victorian by the style and pattern. I also had a surprising find of a USMC medallion still in its case.

Sunday I made the trip to North Ave beach in Chicago. Of course I didn't anticipate them wanting to charge $38 for parking. :shocked03: So after about an hour driving around I finally got a place on the street a few blocks away.
The beach seemed to be heavily hunted as there was little to find. But i did find one junker ring, a fork. In the water there was little but a couple coins, lots of pull tabs, and a round very corroded mystery item.
Today I got around to chipping away at the mystery item and saw a gold color at the edge. After a couple hours of carefully removing the crud I uncovered a beautiful gilt button. Unfortunately the back has rusted away, so can't tell the mfg. It appears it could be quite old maybe having cannon balls under the anchor? I don't know much about buttons obviously so there's an entry under the what is it section for this.

Full Metal Digger
09-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Good finds. I can ID one thing though. That is a generic USMC Challenge Coin. I see them for sale in the BX all the time.

Digger_O'Dell
09-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Good finds. I can ID one thing though. That is a generic USMC Challenge Coin. I see them for sale in the BX all the time.

Yes, I was informed of that by one of my co-workers. I just forgot to invlude that info. Thanks for filling the gap!

aloldstuff
09-28-2016, 05:31 AM
$38 to park......that's just not right. Nice challenge coin and the button looks interesting.

groundhog53946
09-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Interesting items. Nice hunts

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

wisconsin digger
09-28-2016, 12:56 PM
Sounded like a fun trip. I keep talking about planning a road trip but never pull the trigger. Nice finds. WD

Ill Digger
09-28-2016, 09:14 PM
Your putting on some miles too Chris.
Fake or not the challenge coin is a cool find!
Congrats! :grin: