PDA

View Full Version : Mmmmm......1700s silver

lee
09-25-2015, 07:40 PM
today started off just about as bad as it possibly could with a raging tooth ache , so off to the dentist.
the nice lady took one look at it and yanked it out of my head !!!!!,the relief was so amazing i could of kissed her.
after a sleep i woke to a very sore jaw but at least the throbbing had gone,so to cheer my self up i decided to go for a quick hunt down to a place me and my mate Chris have just recently got permissions for , its a seminary that dates back to the civil war, according to the priests, who are a riot by the way, tell us they used to treat injured soldiers there back in the day.
we have done very little of the 100 or so acres and already found silver Washingtons,wheat penny's,Indian heads,coppers,and a stunning matron head large cent made into a cog with a counter stamp right across the middle.
anyway, back to my story,i decided to hunt under a very old tree ,the same tree Chris found the largie under.
after 10mins i get a signal at 3 inches that turns out to be a wheat , ill take wheat's all day mate !!!, so on i go.
after 5 more minuets i get a really weird signal on the ATpro jumping between 65 and 83 at 10 inches. huh i thought ??.
digging down under a root i stick my pro pointer in and off it sounds, so i pull out a handful of dry dirt and stick the pointer in, "brrrrrrrrrr" it goes.
brushing away the dirt i see silver, but not just any silver.....a 1 real , a coin Ive had on my bucket list for 5 years now !!!!!.
i was so excited i text Chris and aloldstuff with picture as im driving home...lol.
after looking at it in the light i see its a 1772 with what looks like a counter stamp just before the date , looks to me like E J I .
heres the pics of my favorit coin to date........."BUCKET LISTER". WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.......

aloldstuff
09-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Lee, I'm sure that coin took the sting out of the dentist experience. Great, great find. Keep me in mind for a hunt after I get back from NH.

del
09-25-2015, 07:58 PM
:wow: great coin Lee , sure heck beats a toothache ;) anyways . would love to see a close up of the counter stamp . it could make the coin worth much more to a collector . great job !!

Digger_O'Dell
09-25-2015, 08:10 PM
Great coin find! I'll bet there's probably more where that came from too! GL and HH!

:perfect10:

Bucknut
09-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Wow! 1700s silver!!!

lee
09-25-2015, 08:41 PM
there ya go Del mate.

lee
09-25-2015, 08:53 PM
that's weird ? it looks like the counter stamp is under the original coin words ... or is it just me ?

groundhog53946
09-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Bet you forgot about your sore jaw for awhile after that ! Congrats

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Cheap Thrills
09-25-2015, 11:32 PM
:congrats:An awesome find .Check under your pillow there may be another one .

aloldstuff
09-26-2015, 04:35 AM
Lee, I think that the counter stamp looks like ELI

Mr. Digger
09-26-2015, 06:07 AM
Amazing coin! Congrats on your bucket lister!

wisconsin digger
09-26-2015, 08:28 AM
Great find WD

BTV Digger
09-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Awesome find Lee...tremendous find! I agree with you Lee, looks like the mark is under the original lettering. :confused: I'm confused now.

John

lee
09-26-2015, 09:49 PM
the more i look at this coin the more it looks like it was struck over another coin ? i can now see wording under most of the rim of the coin, so far i think i can see ELIS ? , im not even gona say it but i bet you know what im thinking.

Digger_O'Dell
09-26-2015, 10:06 PM
If you are thinking it's an overstamp of an ancient coin from Elis Greece, that would likely be wrong since the lettering was in ancient Greek, not the Latin or English alphabet.

lee
09-26-2015, 10:16 PM
ha ha ha no im not thinking that mate,

Trooper Bri
09-26-2015, 10:53 PM
Congrats Lee! Sounds like you and Chris nailed a great spot. Awesome coin!

Digger_O'Dell
09-26-2015, 10:54 PM
ha ha ha no im not thinking that mate,

OK, I give up-what's the secret?

Would love to put that under our 30x scope here at work!

Tony Two-Cent
09-28-2015, 08:17 AM
Congrats on the spectacular find, Lee! :notworthy:

1772 Spanish Silver! :wow: :drool:

And the coin is made even more interesting by the mysterious under-striking. My first thought was that it was a clashed die error, but I'm not too sure about that. Perhaps it was struck onto a different coin, as others have surmised. :thinkingabout:

Whatever the case, it's a spectacular find! :yes:

:perfect10:

MangoAve
09-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Nice score on that one Lee. I thought you had found a Spanish silver in that field of yours already. Was it only the cobb that Chris pulled up? I'd have to look into what coins were before 1772 that had ELIS on it to put any info forth. It looks like the EL is close while the I and S are not part of the same word. The spacing is different.

Edit: there was a 1722/3 overstamp date of the reale variety. As there was an LC overstrike. Could it be the "ET IND" portion from the back of a reale as the first stamp?

lee
09-28-2015, 07:11 PM
im thinking more along the lines now of it being a 1 real stamped over the top of a 1 real.....it looks to me now as if they struck it, were not happy, turned the coin slightly and "boshed" it again, would they of done that ?

your right mango i did have what i think was a half real from my honey field but it was just a small silver ,thin disk....could of been anything.