PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Cellar Holes , Sunday Cash Bash*Coppers, buckles, relics

Thiltzy
06-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Saturday Dave and I tried some new cellar holes in Massachusetts. Some of the sites were heavily hunted already but at one particular hole, every target seemed to be very old. This site was good to me and not so good to Dave. I could hear him in the background moaning and sighing if I dig up one more piece of lead... as I replied but Dave...I am getting a lot of old, deep targets.

My Mxt pro was running great this day. My first target ended up being a King George II that was 2 inches deeper than my lesche tool so I figure it was around 10-11 inches. Then a nice silver dandy button that Gary could not here on his machine but mine was picking it up. I think the very wet ground was getting me a couple more inches. Anyway, a nice kids shoe buckle frame was a neat find and then a very odd pointed object that looks like some sort of arrow point :dontknow: Maybe Dan can give me an opinion on that one :interesting:

The Cash Bash was fun but it was more like wandering randomly on an 80 acre farm looking for a needle in a haystack. I was lucky enough to score a 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent and a nice Gold Surface flat button. :detecting: :detecting: :detecting:

Thiltzy
06-09-2013, 09:00 PM
More pictures

Epi-hunter
06-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Great finds and photos - I can't tell your photos from Dave's anymore lol I love that dandy button :clapping: and of course, the coppers.

Sounds like you did great in the Cash Bash. :clapping: I would faint if I ever found a copper like that.

The Cash Bash was fun but it was more like wandering randomly on an 80 acre farm looking for a needle in a haystack.

Plus there were 54 other people wandering around with detectors trying to find the same needle. lol

Seriously, it sounded like fun and a great site, but it also sounded like a lot of people for one private property in terms of finds. Still, I guess you never know. The camaraderie would have been more than worth it too :)

del
06-10-2013, 12:03 AM
wow a great assortment of stuff Todd :cheering: :cheering: so the big question is ....

when is Dave and Gary getting an mxt pro lol lol lol Dave's groaning must of been very entertaining and to see him whipping that coil from side to side , he needs to be humbled every so often Todd :grin: I'm assuming the d2 coil got you the deep ones , its nice to hear that coil is working out great for you. :beerbuddy: congrats on the nice coins and relics , the copper point looks like it could be a tip of a lightning rod (it is hollow right??).

Thiltzy
06-10-2013, 06:17 AM
wow a great assortment of stuff Todd :cheering: :cheering: so the big question is ....

when is Dave and Gary getting an mxt pro lol lol lol Dave's groaning must of been very entertaining and to see him whipping that coil from side to side , he needs to be humbled every so often Todd :grin: I'm assuming the d2 coil got you the deep ones , its nice to hear that coil is working out great for you. :beerbuddy: congrats on the nice coins and relics , the copper point looks like it could be a tip of a lightning rod (it is hollow right??).
the d2 coil was on the machine, I like it better than the 6x10 as it runs smoother for me. Yes, the copper point is hollow. How was a lightning rod used Dan?

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-10-2013, 07:23 AM
you were the man this weekend Todd! awesome finds all across the board thumbsup01 a lightning rod was mounted on the roof to divert the lightning from hitting the house.
Dan i thought lightning rods were much bigger in diameter than what this is?

sprosoff
06-10-2013, 08:08 AM
A couple of people yesterday at the Cash Bash also found those hollow copper pointed cone things, someone mentioned something to do with raking the hay:huh: :thinkingabout: Seems like an awfully soft metal to use in that capacity. :eyebrow:

OxShoeDrew
06-10-2013, 02:03 PM
A couple of people yesterday at the Cash Bash also found those hollow copper pointed cone things, someone mentioned something to do with raking the hay:huh: :thinkingabout: Seems like an awfully soft metal to use in that capacity. :eyebrow:
were they found in or around a hole?...or out in the field?
Nice looking finds Todd...crotal in good shape?

sprosoff
06-10-2013, 02:08 PM
:barf:

I believe they were both found out in the field.

del
06-10-2013, 02:28 PM
:barf:
I believe they were both found out in the field.

if they were from a field then they are probably off some sort of farming machinery

Bell-Two
06-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Nice stuff there, wow nice Half Cent that is still on my wish list...along with a bazillion other things lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-10-2013, 05:03 PM
if they were from a field then they are probably off some sort of farming machinery

no this was found near the cellar hole.I don't know if todd's tape measure is a smaller width tape measure than a standard size but from what I remember the opening was about the diameter of a say a pen.so my 1st thought was a long bow & arrow type tip.but I could be wrong on the diameter.Todd can you take a pic of the opening with a measurement? i'm guessin 1/4 - 1/2 inch from what i recollect :confused:

Thiltzy
06-10-2013, 05:25 PM
no this was found near the cellar hole.I don't know if todd's tape measure is a smaller width tape measure than a standard size but from what I remember the opening was about the diameter of a say a pen.so my 1st thought was a long bow & arrow type tip.but I could be wrong on the diameter.Todd can you take a pic of the opening with a measurement? i'm guessin 1/4 - 1/2 inch from what i recollect :confused:
Dave the copper point measures 3/8 x 1/2 at the opening.

you were the man this weekend Todd! awesome finds all across the board thumbsup01 a lightning rod was mounted on the roof to divert the lightning from hitting the house.
Dan i thought lightning rods were much bigger in diameter than what this is?
Thanks Dave, you and Gary found these spots so thanks and I know you will redeem your self next weekend.

Great finds and photos - I can't tell your photos from Dave's anymore lol I love that dandy button :clapping: and of course, the coppers.

Sounds like you did great in the Cash Bash. :clapping: I would faint if I ever found a copper like that.

Plus there were 54 other people wandering around with detectors trying to find the same needle. lol

Seriously, it sounded like fun and a great site, but it also sounded like a lot of people for one private property in terms of finds. Still, I guess you never know. The camaraderie would have been more than worth it too :)

Thanks Epi, I am not a fan of organized large group hunts in farm fields but the people that were attending it was the main reason for me going. There are some really great people that organized and attended it. Good company is always more important than the hunt itself.

Nice looking finds Todd...crotal in good shape?
Ox, the large crotal was very deep in muddy ground and it has a chalky black consistency to it so, no it is not in good shape.

Does anyone know what the oval relic with the two holes could be? :interesting: :thinkingabout: :dontknow: Thanks in advance

del
06-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know what the oval relic with the two holes could be? :interesting: :thinkingabout: :dontknow: Thanks in advance

Todd ,its a decorative strap guide probably for a saddle

Lodge Scent
06-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Some very nice finds :congrats:

coinnut
06-10-2013, 06:44 PM
How about a picture of the seam of the point? Also does it appear to be complete at the top (largest diameter of the item)?

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Todd ,its a decorative strap guide probably for a saddle

you doubting my expertise again Todd? <}

Thiltzy
06-10-2013, 09:01 PM
you doubting my expertise again Todd? <}
you were unsure, a 2nd opinion is always good :teasing:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-10-2013, 09:45 PM
you were unsure, a 2nd opinion is always good :teasing:

no sir i said it went to a strap guide and i was very positive on my ID i have a complete one.the master taught me well so i was answering for him <}