PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Bust, Weeknight Silver

z118
05-08-2013, 06:35 AM
I was mostly skunked detecting this past weekend. I hunted my farmer's yard for a bit on Saturday (his house was built in 1840) but I had no luck at all. Sunday morning I headed to a new wooded spot I was hopefully about but it proved to be a dud so I moved into an adjacent school field and dug clad. In the evening I hit one of my best spots but I have hunted this place hard many times before and was able to turn up only a bit of clad in several hours of hunting. So all told I only dug 110 coins this weekend, along with 4 wheats and some miscellaneous junk all shown in the first pic.

I got out again last night intent on hitting three new spots I had scoped out in Bing Maps. They are all small little grassy areas but they seemed promising based on some older maps of the same area. The first spot gave up some clad, three wheats, a 1938 Canadian penny, and a '43 Merc in about 90 minutes hunting. There were obvious recently dug plugs at this spot. They were well done and replaced nicely which is good to see. The second spot gave up 4 wheats in only about 30 minutes of hunting. I never made it to the third spot. Conditions were not very good as the ground is now bone dry and the grass is long in spots so I am very confident I can pull more goodies from these locations with more time and under better conditions. It feels great to take a chance on a new spot and have it pan out. And it is always very exciting to have new locations on you list of places to hunt. All in all is was a very nice evening.

Happy hunting...

bob_e99
05-08-2013, 07:25 AM
:congrats:

It's always nice to hit a new spot especially when it yields silver. Judging from the wheats, I think your assessment of future finds at those sites is pretty good.

Congrats on the silver and continued good hunting.

aloldstuff
05-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Nice merc and early Canadian <;) penny. Those 3 new sites look promising....go back

CODY
05-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Nice finds. :congrats: