PDA

View Full Version : Deja Vu Hunt - Barber Quarter, War Nickel, Silver Rosie & Twine Pouch Mystery!

JdsCoins
04-08-2013, 09:50 PM
It was a beautiful, mild 70 degree day, so even though I wasn't planning on detecting I headed back to the park that has treated me well over the last month.

So after digging a clad dime I had an audience of kids around me, thankfully this time they were more behaved kids, so I didn't mind, so while they were all watching I dug a shallow clad dime just so they could see me dig a coin. I let them swing the probe and help with the holes (and of course showed them how to properly repair one thumbsup01)

So while they were still there I get a strange but solid signal about 4-5 inches down (was hitting between 14-16 on both the ferrous and conductivity numbers on the e-trac.) And out pops a war nickel! :grin: The most corroded one I've ever dug, which explains the abnormally high ferrous numbers.

So I succeeded in boring the kids to death and they moved along. Then only about 10 minutes later I get a clad dime signal, and noticed a deep squeaky 13-47 signal to the left of the dime when I was messing with that signal. So I dig the deep, inconsistent signal first, and BOOM! A 1905-O semi-key barber quarter at about 10 :happy:

Then, probably about another 10 minutes later I dug a 1947 rosie at about 10 as well. Thankfully it was lying completely flat in the hole, otherwise at that depth I think I would have missed it? :dontknow:

After that I spent another 2 hours or so hunting and only found clad, until near the end when I dug a strange object about an inch under the surface. I noticed there was twine on it so I wasn't sure if it was junk. So I get home and start working on cleaning it, so after a few minutes I finally got some mud off, broke some twine, yanked some root out......then another 5 minutes later after unwinding about 10 yards of tightly packed twine out pops a HUGE brass medal :shocked04:

The strange thing about this hunt it exactly a month ago on the same day (march 8th) at the SAME park I also dug a barber quarter, war nickel and rosie. How bizarre? :shocked01:

JdsCoins
04-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Here is the full video if anyone is interested. The medal is huge. 33.1 grams. :shocked03:

UNWRAPPING DUG TWINE POUCH LIVE! + BARBER QUARTER, WAR NICKEL & SILVER ROSIE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0Enh70ED3E#ws)

jkress
04-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Fantastic bunch of keepers JdsCoins. :clapping: Love the Barber Q. :smitten:

I'd make a return trip here on May 8th for sure. :yes: :-> Congrats.

Cheap Thrills
04-09-2013, 12:57 AM
Nice finds JD . It's been ages since I've found a Barber Quarter . I enjoyed your video and learned a bit about the Etrac ( I swing an Explorer ) .It looks like an Etrac can be swung quite a bit faster than an Explorer .Keep up the good work . :perfect10:

aloldstuff
04-09-2013, 04:55 AM
Great hunting. Behaved little kids can be okay, let meknow how you bored them to death so soon.

:congrats: on that Barber quarter and the other silvers.

I am wondering if that brass medal is actually a service coin. My niece is in the Air Force and she has to carry her service coin with her at all times. Seems that they check and if you don't have it then you have to buy a round of drinks.

Will have to watch the video later.

POKIE73
04-09-2013, 05:17 AM
nice finds but the barber is my favorite congrats on a great hunt dennis :perfect10: :perfect10:

CTDirtFisher
04-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Nice finds... great video... Keep it up !!

CODY
04-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Very nice finds. Love the medal. :congrats:

Wisconsin Lockman
04-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Very nice finds :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
04-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Congrats on the terrifc finds, Jon! That 1905-O Barber Quarter is awesome! There is no greater feeling than when an old silver quarter comes out of a deep hole!

:perfect10: